Click here for photo of the week.
Well, I have come to love my salmon. This is one fish that does not leave a lingering smell well after cooking. This is good as my crib is so tiny and such smells can drive one crazy. Anyway, as Farmgal can testify, my salmon meal is simple and fast to cook. Better yet, tasty. Word of warning though……presentation, not very colourful, but by the time you are done eating, your taste buds will be asking for more.
Well, enough of the patting thy self on the back…..on with the recipe.
Ingredients (Cooking for one)
- Salmon Steak
- 4-5 Salad Potatoes (Baby Potatoes)
- Green mixed salad
- 1/4 Lemon
- Soy Sauce
- French Dressing
- Herbal Mayo (Normal will do)
- Dried Parsely
- Fish Seasoning (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Water (plenty)
Salmon thawing in cold water
Some of The Ingredients: French dressing, salt, soy sauce, parsely, herbal mayo, pepper and lemon wedge.
- ‘George Foreman’ Grill (a non-stick pan can be used as an alternative)
- Knife & Fork
The grill (closed)
- Passion fruit juice
- Common Sense
Water on hob with salt and pepper ready for the potatoes
Preparation / Cooking
- Put water in kettle and bring to boil. Transfer water to pot and put on hob to continue boiling. Add salt and pepper to water. Clean potatoes and put in boiling water to cook.
Cleaning the spuds!
- If salmon is frozen, but in water to defrost. If fresh/already thawed, clean with cold tap water, followed by lemon. Do not discard the lemon juice.
- Add the fish seasoning, soy sauce, salt and pepper to the salmon and put on side to marinade.
- Put salad in colander and rinse under cold tap. Shake excess water out and leave on side.
Salad ready for dressing and eating
- Pre-heat the grill/pan (with oil) and in the meantime, turn the salmon in marinade making sure all sides are covered.
- Check to see if the potatoes are cooking well by piercing them with a fork. If still hard, they are not ready.
The potatoes cooking nicely
- Once grill/pan is hot, carefully place the salmon on the hot surface. Take care not to burn yourself (this is where the common sense applies). If using the grill, turning of the salmon will not be necessary…..so gadget highly recommended.
The grill (open) – both plates get hot, so need to turn as both sides of steak will be cooked.
- While the salmon and potatoes are cooking, put salad on dinner plate and dress it with the french salad dressing.
- By now the potatoes should be cooked. Before removing them, add the parsely and leave in low heat for five minutes.
- Check on the salmon.
- By now the salmon and potatoes should be done. Turn off all appliances (again….common sense).
- Pour out the water from the pot and carefully place the potatoes on the salad in strategic places using a fork.
- Carefully, remove the salmon from the grill using a spatula and place it on the salad.
- Sprinkle some pepper on the meal and squirt the herbal mayo on the potatoes.
- All this time, the passion fruit juice should be chilling in the fridge……by now, it should be nice and cold. Pour into glass.
- Final presentation of meal should look like this
- Now…..take tray (I am bila dining table), place on lap and tuck in!
After a short while, since the meal is going down well, take a breather. Your plate should look like this…….
Cleaned out…..was tempted to lick though!
And that my friends is how its done……Salmon Meal! Fast food at home….and cheaper too!
Happy Thursday y’all!
Meal pics can be found here.